top of page

Regimental Locations

MALTA

Fort Tigne

 

Fort Tigne is the smallest fort on the island.  It was built in 1792 on a design of Chevalier Tigne,

after whom it was named. It is situated at the entrance of Marsamxett Harbour at Point Dragut.

 

History

 

Fort Tigne was the last fortification built by the Knights on Malta, construction was started in 1792

and was completed in 2 years. This was a remarkably short construction period given the time taken

on some of the other fortifications on the island, which had taken over 100years and still not been

completed. The completion of the fort was greatly aided by the fact that it is of small size and the

 funds for it's construction had been donated and were therefore not dependent on the common

 treasury. The Bailiff Tigne gave 1,000 scudi towards the project but a much larger sum

of 6,000 was provided by Grand Master Rohan.

 

The fort was one of the few that put up some resistance to the French in 1798.

The site appears to have been occupied by the British who later built Tigne barracks on much

the same site. I have not found out when the fort was demolished as now only the circular tower

remains, but the photograph below shows how it appeared at some point in the 19th century.

37a3f640.jpg

In the early 1950's 36 HAA Regiment were stationed at Tigne Barracks, 73 HAA Regiment

were also stationed on the Island at St George's Barracks. When the Suez Crisis was on in 1956,

part of 37 HAA Regiment moved out to Malta, they were stationed at St Patricks Barracks.

 

Today much development has taken part at Tigne Barracks. Most of the Barracks have now

 been demolished, and the original blocks having been converted into flats. There is one

old married quarters block left and the old cookhouse.

 

My thanks to the late John Coady for the update on Tigne Barracks.

382d1cc0.jpg

Officers Shoulder Badge

383c8b50.jpg

Shoulder Flash worn by members of

36 H.A.A. Regiment

3842cd70.png

Badge of The Malta Artillery

5bf7e7e0.jpg

Gordon Spurr

Regimental Police, 36 HAA Malta

385e1250.jpg

3.7 in Anti-Tank role, Bahar ic Chaik 1955

My thanks to Bob Rogers for the photo.

0e268190.png

SHOEBURYNESS
Horseshoe Barracks

IMG_3461.JPG

Clock Tower, Horseshoe Barracks

History of the Garrison

and Area

 

A signal station was erected in 1797-8 at the start of the Napoleonic Wars to communicate

with Sheerness in the event of a French invasion. It was replaced by a coastguard station

and six cottages in 1825 which were later absorbed in the Garrison’s Officers’ Mess.

Part remains in the Mess and is the only pre-Garrison structure surviving.

 

During the 1840s the artillery ranges at Plumstead Marshes, near Woolwich, became

 increasingly difficult to use for testing and practice firing of weaponry owing to greater

distances needed and their proximity to the heavily used shipping route along the Thames.

The Board of Ordnance whichwas responsible for testing and procuring weapons, decided

Shoeburyness was the best option for a new testing and practice Station.

 

It offered an isolated site, extensive land and foreshore for firing, easy access by river from

Woolwich and a coastal location for the transport of heavy artillery. Land began to be purchased

 in stages from 1849 and for the next five years Shoeburyness and its foreshore were used as

 a temporary Station during summer months. The former coastguard station became officers’ quarters

with an extension built in 1852 for the Mess and servant’s quarters; temporary wooden buildings

were erected for personnel, stores, etc., to the north; and the Station’s first brick building, one of

the powder magazines, was erected in 1851.

 

The first civilian development stimulated by the new Station was the Shoebury Tavern, built in

1852 at the Station’s gates. This was rebuilt in 1899 and is now the Shoebury Hotel. Housing

development was planned on nearby land to the west but the Board purchased the land to

safeguard its use of the site. But early development took place along Rampart Terrace

(all now demolished) and the east side of the High Street.

 

The consequences of the Crimean War in 1854 were fundamental for the Station’s subsequent

development. The War ended 40 years of relative stagnation in weaponry development and

 led to Shoebury becoming a permanent Station with investment in new buildings and

 testing facilities. Buildings erected include:

The Commandant’s House (1854)

Beach House for the second officer (c1856)

The Hospital (1856) which was possibly the most advanced barrack hospital at that time and believed to have been visited by Florence Nightingale before the Royal Sanitary Commission on Health in the Army in 1857– it included separate fever, casualty

and general wards and an isolation ward and an internal kitchen Sergeants’ quarters attached to the Hospital (1856)

The second Powder Magazine (c1856)

Other works included the construction of Chapel Road (c1857), which extended to Ness Road,

to make road access to the Station more usable, an unloading pier close to the first battery,

to assist seaborne transport, and additional artillery batteries.

 

The War and its aftermath led to a rapid expansion in the amount and type of testing and

practice firing carried out for both the army and navy. With the adoption of rifled guns and the

 commissioning of armoured ships, a ‘battle’ developed to find more powerful guns on the one hand and

 more effective armour and coastal defences on the other. This ‘battle’ was ‘largely fought

on the Marshes at Shoeburyness, and from 1890 in the New Ranges.’

 

The Crimean War also highlighted the need for a dedicated School of Gunnery for the Royal Artillery

 to standardise training and procedures for the new weaponry. The first school had been

established in 1778 at the Royal Military Repository, Woolwich, but had a restricted curriculum.

On the recommendation of the Army C in C, the Duke of Cambridge, the new School of Gunnery

 was established in 1859 at the Shoebury Station.

 

This additional use of the Station led to further land purchase, increasing the area from

 45 to 200 acres, and building construction which included:

Gatekeepers Lodge (1859), Chapel Road (now 107 Ness Road)

Gunnery Drill Shed (1859) which also served as the Garrison Church before the Chapel was built and

a theatre until 1886 when a separate theatre was erected close to East Gate (now demolished).

Artillery Barracks with barrack blocks, sergeants’ mess, Garrison School, clock tower gateway with flanking guardroom,

cells and offices (1859-1862).

It was built to a unique design and semi-circular layout which enclosed the parade ground.

Clerk of Works House, 135 Ness Road (1861)

Garrison Church (1866)

NCO quarters in Hospital Road (1858-9)

Married Officers’ quarters in The Terrace overlooking the cricket square (1866-1871)

Single Officers’ quarters at 1-7 in Warrior Square Road (1860 and c1870)

Long Course Officers’ quarters, Chapel Road (1871)

Carriage & Wagon Shed, Warrior Square Road (c1860)

Royal Engineers’ offices and quarters, Warrior Square Road (1874)

By the early 1870s, the Station had been substantially completed.

From 1865 the Station was used also by the National Artillery Association as an annual competition

 range with well over 1000 military competitors. Tented accommodation to the rear of the Barracks

was provided and the area became known as Campfield. This was the last land to be purchased, in 1886,

and enabled the construction of Campfield Road, at that time a military road within the Station and

 not for public use, and the Sergeants’ Married Quarters (nicknamed the ‘Birdcage’, now Ash Court &

Beech Lodge, Rosewood Lane) north of the road. Additional terraces were built at the

rear in the early C20 (now ‘The Cottages’).

 

Offices, workshops, stores and quarters were built south of Magazine Road over the latter part

 of the 19th century and into the 20th, and echoed much of the architecture elsewhere at the

Garrison, but had no overall plan for their layout. Artillery training and experimental use of guns,

 rockets and explosives, and the testing of armour and defensive casements continued to grow

up to the end of the century. Experimental casements and an adjacent new pier were built in 1872-3.

 

The casements were adapted into the Light Quick Firing Battery twenty years later.

The Heavy Quick Firing Battery which still exists was also an adaptation of a previous structure

(the Old Battery). In general, however, many of the structures built for testing and practice were

 not intended to be permanent and few now remain. But there is substantial archaeological

 evidence of former structures, particularly close to the shore.

 

The Station played a central role in artillery development such as rifled barrels, breach loading,

Hale’s war rockets, Captain Boxer’s shrapnel, quick firing weapons including machine guns and

 the replacement in the 1890s of gunpowder with cordite. It had close links with William Armstrong whose

company became one of the main armaments innovators and manufacturers and many of that company’s

weapons were tested at Shoebury.

 

There was an inherent danger in the work at the Station and an accidental explosion in 1885

killed seven. A new Married Soldiers Hospital (now a public house) was built on Campfield Road in

1898 from public subscription to commemorate those who had been killed.

 

The continuous improvements led once more to the need for greater distances for firing ranges

 and purchase of the New Ranges, north of the present East Beach, extending eventually to

Foulness began in 1889. Experimentation and testing activities were increasingly carried out on the

 New Ranges, whilst the Old Ranges continued with various forms of training. It also led to the extension

of the railway to Shoebury in 1884, the construction of Shoebury railway station and the construction of

lines into both the Old and New Ranges.

 

The Station had connections with many well known people of the day who either trained there or were

involved in testing weapons. These included:

 

the Duke of Cambridge, the army C in C and a frequent visitor with foreign dignitaries

Louis Napoleon Prince Imperial of France, son of deposed Emperor and great grandson of Napoleon,

who was stationed there as an officer;

Godfrey Rampling, athlete and gold medal winner at the 1938 Berlin Olympics;

George Carpentier, world heavyweight boxing champion and Bombardier Billy Wells who both

trained at the Shoebury Hotel in the early 1900s.

 

The Garrison’s development had a profound impact on Shoebury and transformed it from a small

scattered rural community with a population in 1851 of only 350, into a Garrison town. Development was

 in two distinct areas in the High Street / Rampart Terrace / Hinguar Street area at the east gate and

 in Cambridge Town at the west gate in Chapel Road / Ness Road.

 

Development around the High Street entrance followed construction of the Shoebury Tavern,

 but on a fairly small scale until the arrival of the railway. Development of Cambridge Town started in 1883

 and effectively created slum conditions for its residents without made-up roads, sewers or water supplies.

 Married soldiers could only go on the list for married quarters at the Garrison when they were aged 26

 or older and so often had to find rented accommodation in the area.

 

Shoebury Urban District Council was formed in 1895, in part to provide improved roads

and living conditions, and continued until absorbed within Southend in 1933. Campfield Road and

part of Chapel Road was passed to the Council as a public road in the 1920s and a new west gate

created at the west end of the present Chapel Road. 101 Campfield Road, built in 1934,

 is believed to have been the new gatehouse.

 

The First World War saw increased activity at Shoebury including a new School of Anti-Aircraft

instruction and a War Dog School to train dogs for use in the war. The interwar period saw the

 final separation of experimentation and testing from artillery training at Shoebury and re-emphasised

 the different functions of the Old and New Ranges.

 

The period was one of relative decline until rearmament commenced in 1936. But from

 then and through the War, the Garrison saw significant structural work on new defences including

air raid shelters, command posts, new batteries, searchlight emplacements, and so on. Surviving features

are identified in the Survey of World War II Defences in the Borough of Southend-on-Sea. Outside

the Appraisal area but visible from it are two related features – the Cold War Defence boom at East Beach,

which replaced the 1939-40 timber boom, and the wreck of the Mulberry Harbour, which had been

built for the D Day landings in France. Both are under consideration for scheduling as ancient monuments.

And on the east horizon are forts built at the entrance to the estuary.

 

The War brought a permanent artillery Regiment (22) to the Old Ranges. Of the many soldiers

who passed through for war-time training, well known characters included Frankie Howerd

who started his entertainments career in the Garrison’s theatre and spent time in the guardhouse!

 

Post-war, the Garrison continued to house residential artillery units until 1976. Accommodation

on site remained inadequate and many families had to be housed elsewhere. Despite proposals

for housing development on the Old Ranges, the only ones built were the five officer’s houses facing the east

 side of the cricket pitch, and similar houses in Ness Road, in the early 1950s.

 

Following the departure of the last residential unit, the Garrison HQ was disbanded in 1976,

 properties in the vicinity of the west gate and Campfield Road were sold, many non-residential

structures were demolished, Gunners Park was formed and the rest of the site eventually sold in 2000.

3949d160.jpg

Inside the Officers Mess

The Barracks

 

The character of the Barracks is very special. Its architecture and layout remain largely

 as originally designed. Well spread out buildings, wide tree lined roads, open spaces and sea

views give a feeling of space. Many mature trees within the Garrison enhance the setting

of the buildings andpositively contribute to the Conservation Area’s character.

 

Most of the buildings date from the mid- to late-nineteenth century. Their materials and

 common design elements give the area a unified appearance - yellow stock brick, slate roofs,

 timbersliding sash window. But distinct variations in building design, their position, size and

decorative detailing, reflect the different status of the users. Compare Horseshoe Barracks,

for instance,which have the simplest designs and provided accommodation for private soldiers,

with the well-detailed married officers quarters in The Terrace.

 

The buildings in Horseshoe Barracks are aligned in a horseshoe shape around a large parade

 ground. This is a unique example of the efforts during the nineteenth century to reform and improve

 barrack design. It also provides an important element of the townscape.

 

Other buildings provide focal points for the Conservation Area. The most distinctive is the

 Gatehouse. It was built in 1856 with an attached guard house and jail and is in an Italianate style.

 Its central feature is the square clock tower, which has a clock to each face, chamfered corners

 and molded cornices and parapet. An archway below provides the entrance to the parade

 ground and barracks.

 

The Garrison Church of St Peter and St Paul was originally the chapel and school of the

 British School of Gunnery. It was constructed in 1866 of ragstone and slate in a gothic revival style,

with a cruciform plan. Memorials in the church include one to the accidental explosion of 1885.

 

Other notable buildings include the Garrison's Hospital with its symmetrical frontage design,

the gunnery drill shed which is an early example of free-span north-light roofs and has decorative

red brick detailing, and the Officers Mess which overlooks the estuary and has a

splendid oak panelled dining room.

 

The High Street

 

The High Street fronting the Garrison entrance was developed during the second half of the

nineteenth century in response to the Garrison and the extension of the railway to Shoebury.

 

The broad High Street was developed piecemeal with no overall design control. Originally a mix

 of houses and shops, it shows a variety of Victorian designs. Despite conversion of some of the shops

 to housing, buildings retain much of their Victorian character. Features of particular importance are the

 originaltimber sliding sash windows, slate roofs, parapet and cornice detailing and original shopfronts.

 

The terrace of houses on the west side of the High Street (nos. 9-25) are of varied designs but

 their typical late Victorian detailing such as recessed porches, bays, timber sliding sash windows

 and slate roofs give them visual unity.The Shoeburyness Hotel is at the entrance to the Garrison.

 Built in an Arts and Crafts style it became a training base for boxers attached to the Garrison,

such as Bombadier Wells.

The Royal Artillery says farewell

to Shoeburyness

Wednesday 4th March 1998

39618880.jpg
22-large.jpg
bbef4250.png

The Final Sunset Parade

39a04f30.jpg

We must not forget the contribution made to Shoeburyness

by the men and women of the P&EE.

The New Ranges are still in operation, but now run by a civilian

based agency, but with much less activity as in the past.

39c267f0.png

Please check out this excellent Book

by the late Major Tony Hill

 

Published by Baron Books of Buckingham

Some photo's of when the Regiment was stationed at Shoeburyness

Click on Photo for larger Image

0e268190.png

DUISBURG
Glamorgan Barracks

BILL14.JPG

Locations

 

HQ Battery and 56 Battery occupied Block 4

60 Battery were housed in Block 6.

The ACC Training School BAOR were in Block 5 with the swimming pool in the front.

77 Telecommunications Workshops REME were also in residence in the Barracks.

36 Heavy Air Defence Regiment was stationed at Glamorgan Barracks, Duisburg,

BFPO 34 from Nov 1961 until January 1967.

 

The Barracks at Duisburg Wanheim were first known as New Yard Barracks and were built in

1936/37 within a very short time. The plans for the barracks were drawn up in the 1920's,

that's why the design of the buildings differ from other 1930 style military buildings.

The former Sgts Mess has a Bulb Tower design. The barracks were renamed when

British Forces took over after the Second World War.

 

As a result of the Berlin Wall in 1961, BAOR was reinforced by several units from the UK, including

36 Heavy Air Defence Regiment. The Regiment moved from Shoeburyness to West Germany, and were

initially stationed in Mansergh Barracks, Gutersloh. However by the end of 1961 they had begun

to move to the now relatively empty Glamorgan Barracks.

 

The Regiment's two Batteries at that time were 56 and 60 Heavy Air Defence Batteries. There was

also a REME Workshop, RAOC Stores Section and a Royal Signals Section. In 1966 the Regiment

was re-equipped with Thunderbird 2 and it soon became apparent that the Equipment Compounds

in Glamorgan Barracks were not large enough to contain the radio frequency hazard of the

more powerful Radars, and consequently, by January 1967, the Regiment left the

Barracks for Napier Barracks, Dortmund.

3b70d4a0.png

Forth Row: Sgt Collins, Sgt Kemp, Sgt Goodwin, Sgt Davidson, Sgt Bills, Sgt Jones, Sgt Frost, Sgt Pointing, Sgt Stewart.

 

Third Row: Sgt Artis, Sgt Butler, Sgt Lane, Sgt Collins, Sgt Brice, Sgt Boughton, Sgt McEntee, Sgt Campbell, Sgt Amos,

Sgt Greenland, Sgt Hughes, Sgt Moore, Sgt Ogden.

 

Second Row: S.Sgt (SSI) Turner, S/Sgt Matyear, S/Sgt Butterfield, S/Sgt Morris, S/Sgt Neale, S/Sgt Bullen, S/Sgt Copeland,

S/Sgt Eldred, Sgt Vincent-Sqibb, Sgt Teale, Sgt Cansick, S/Sgt Ferguson, S/Sgt Hopkins, S/Sgt Lyell,

S/Sgt Rumble BEM, S/Sgt Hills, S/Sgt Blogg, S/Sgt Lane.

 

Front Row: WO11 (CQMS) Stoddard, WO11 (SQMS) Fox, WO11 (BSM) Chambers, WO11 (BSM) Goodall-French,

WO11 (BSM) Rowlands, WO11 (BSM) Budden, WO11 (T/RQMS) Plumb, WO1 (RSM) Parmenter MBE,

Lt Col R H Purvis MBE RA, WO1 (ASM) Vine, WO11 (RQMS) Lawson, WO11 (BSM) Turell, WO11 (AQMS) Ford,

WO11 (BSM) Gosling, WO11 (AQMS) Belcher, WO11 (AQMS) Richards, WO11 (SQMS) Fuller.

1st April 2004

 

I have just received the news that the GFW (Gesellschaft fur Wirtschaftsforderung) Company have

demolished all of the Barracks and are to build a Business Park and Flats on the site.

 

The former Officers Mess is in use for a group of Trade Associations called Haus der Unternehmer,

from the company GFW Duisburg.

 

So it now seems to be the end for the Barracks as you will remember them. I am happy that you

will at least have your memories from the pictures on this Website.

 

My sincere thanks to Falko in Duisburg for this information.

3bb37640.jpg

My thanks to Eric Zeppenfeld for the above Photo. I would also like to thank him

for sending me a copy of the History of Glamorgan Barracks 1937-1985.

Some photo's of when the Regiment was stationed in Duisburg.

Click on Photo for larger Image

0e268190.png

DORTMUND

Napier Barracks

Dortmund, Napier Bks (7).jpg

The former barracks area at the Oesterstrasse (Napier Barracks)

is a very large area to redevelop, and this could take a long time to plan and organize.

During the First World War it had been used for Pilot training. After the war plans were

made for it to become an Airport, with Airmail traffic starting in 1921.

The Airfield was known as Dortmund - Brackel.

 

An Air Traffic Company was set up and furnished a small office in the Barrack in 1921,

with regular flights to Bremen, Frankfurt, Rotterdam and London.

Passenger flights came along in the following years.

 

In 1934 the German Military started to use the Airfield for their on purposes and plans for

the new Air Base began. In 1936 Staff and 1 Group of the Destroyer Squadron "Refuge Wessel",

later renamed ZG26 took over operation with BF 109's and 110's.

In 1938 it received its concrete runway, which was also used by civilian Airlines.

 

During the Second World War the Air base was used by different combat forces, defence and

maintenance staff. In 1941 1,000 soldiers were accommodated in the barracks.

Beside the Destroyer Squadron there were also fighter pilots stationed there. Before the

end of the war, on the 28th March 1945, the last air units leave the Airfield,

except for about 70 who remained  for defence.

 

Before their departure the last German troops blew up the runway, hangers and other

technical buildings. On the 12th April a American Tank Unit occupies the area, and two months

later the area is seized by the British Armed Forces.

 

In the first post war years, different units of the British Army are stationed at the barracks.

In 1953 flying is again allowed from the Airfield, but from 1959 civilian flying is ended by

a NATO resolution and the Barracks and Airfield are taken over by BAOR.

 

36 Heavy Air Defence Regiment were stationed at Napier Barracks 1967-68 and 1971-77.

 

It was  used by the British Army up until the GulfWar,

after which Dortmund Garrison closed, and BAOR ceased to operate.

The old Runway has been converted to make the St Barbara's Royal Dortmund Golf Club.

302137_2571040716771_1782533671_n.jpg

The view leaving Camp

syrena.gif
3cfe6490.jpg
0e268190.png

You may remember some of these

Dortmund Locations

 

Camp 7

 

Suffolk Barracks

Headquarters Dortmund/Menden Station

48 Army Education Centre

British Forces Post Office

Garrison Officers Mess

Mobile Civilian Artisan Group

Royal Military Police Duty Room

Services Liaison Officer

Naafi Families Shop

Barrack Stores

 

Camp 8

 

Ubique Barracks

 

Camp 9

 

Moore Barracks

District works Office/Property Services Agency

 

Camp 10

West Riding Barracks

Mobile Civilian Transport Group

MC Squadron RCT

Supply Depot

 

Napier Barracks

Medical Centre

Dental Centre

YMCA

NAAFI "B" Shop

 

Redesdale Barracks

Workshop REME

4 Pioneer Labour Support Unit

0e268190.png

Amenities at Napier Barracks

Angling Club

Athletics Track

Golf Club

Stables

Swimming Pool

 

St George's Free Church

 

Housing Areas

Brackel

Aplerbeck

Asseln

 

Schools

Suffolk Barracks

Cornwall School

Alanbrooke School

Alexandra School

 

Napier Barracks

Victoria Primary School

3c5206d0.jpg

My sincere thanks to Bernhard Weiss for the

use of the above picture taken in 2001.

Some Images taken in 2007 of the Barracks before complete demolition.

bottom of page